Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Joy of Autumn

After a seemingly-unending summer heat, at long last I can smell it, almost taste it.  The air is just beginning to feel and smell crisp in the evenings.  How does it smell crisp?  There’s a slight bite in the air and the inside of my nose tingles as I breathe deeply.  We will see the trees turn red, gold, sometimes even purple or other colors before finally turning brown.  They’ll be such a beautiful, majestic sight.  Soon we’ll hear the crisp crinkle of fallen leaves on the ground.  The cicadas and frogs still call to one another.

My heart yearns for this time of year.  I didn’t fully realize that until tonight when it tugged me outside to sit for a few minutes in one of our camp chairs under a tree, writing and breathing.  I had brought my scriptures out, but ended up not even cracking the cover.  I don’t think I would have been able to concentrate on the words, anyway.  I’d just be listening and breathing, taking in the approach of autumn, the best time of year.  The time of fallen leaves and pumpkins, of corn mazes and bonfires, of a beautiful night sky.  God must have created autumn as a special blessing for his children.  Especially this child, for which I will be ever grateful.

I wish it could feel like this for ever and a day.

1 comment:

Total Pageviews