Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Social Knitwork

Back in January I was surprised and pleased to discover a blog post at Latter-day Homeschooling about Conceptual Knitting. The blogger talked about Conceptual Knitting found at Leafcutter Designs. The first project shared was a Sky Scarf - knit one stripe a day based on the color of the sky that day, and by the end of the year, you will have a completed scarf full of blues and greys, maybe even some white or other colors you choose to knit. 


Well, after two months, here is my scarf.  The light blue yarn with shiny white running through it represents a bright blue sky with lots and lots of clouds, yet not completely overcast. Overcast is the light gray yarn. The fuzzy yarn you see at the bottom was when their was a day of morning fog. The medium blue is a bright blue sky with very little to no clouds at all. Then I started adding a white cotton thread with that blue to represent bright blue and puffy white clouds. Dark gray yarn and silver beads represent rain. The red and alphabet beads at the bottom represent January birthdays and the first initial of the birthday person. The big "pearl" is the full moon. The red and blue hearts  - Valentine's day.  I had to use a variegated blue toward the current top of my scarf because there were days when the weather just didn't know what it wanted to do.



Now Leafcutter Designs has introduced a new project:  The Social Knitwork

Using four colors to represent the four most popular social network sites - Blogger/GMail, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest - or in fact using whatever colors you desire - friends and other viewers can choose a color and give a reason why they chose that color. The knitter will knit a stripe in each color commented on in the order they come in.

Well, I just couldn't decide on ONE project to knit with this, so I'm going to do two:



a blanket...

Maybe a circle blanket, maybe a normal afghan...



and a scarf.

The scarf will be a scrap-scarf. When these four colors run out, I will add others and ask for your help to choose the new colors.



I look forward to reading your color choices  and reasons why!

1 comment:

  1. For the blanket, I choose brown because it reminds me of the bark of trees, and I really like trees. For the scarf, I choose red, because it reminds me of Isaiah 1:18, "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool."

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews